Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Why Silver Island Media?

Why did I name the blog Silver Island Media?
Well, firstly I needed a name brand name for the namespace in the code. Secondly, if I do more games, it's good to have a name that brands them together.

But why Silver Island Media?
I started programming when I got my first computer (a Commodore 64). I was 13 at the time and computers weren't that common. I just knew a couple of people that had one. We all played games together, but I also wanted to learn how the games where made. This was before the Internet became known around the world. I played around writing textbased games, but quickly learned the limits of the computer and my own skills.
Over the years I tried to learn more and more and did lots of half finished projects in different languages.
But then by the end of the century, I finally finished a game! It was called Silver Island and was a simple roleplaying game. I published it online just for fun and was shocked by the reception. It was free and everyone could download it and it was downloaded by some 40000 people and got quite good rating for such a simple game.
I started on a second game (called Twilight of Eternity) after that which was much more advanced (based on my skills and not the market!), but never got around to finish it.
Many years went pass and I felt like doing some game programming again. Then I needed a brand name and in memory of my first game I called it Silver Island Media. So that's why :)

No comments:

Post a Comment